Friday, August 8, 2008
Dental Treatment is Temporary....Almost!
I am a retired dentist with 35 years under my belt. I practiced general dentistry and learned that almost all dental treatment is temporary. That is, sooner or later, it will have to be replaced or redone. it may take a few months or several years. The wear and tear on your teeth and the material-fatigue of the restorative materials evenly (in most cases) will breakdown or simply wear-out. Sounds kind of bleak, doesn't it, especially after you have spent couple of thousand dollars on that bridge, denture, partial, implant, crowns, root canal, braces, etc. Now I grant you that some things last much longer than others, like implants, and it also depends on how hard you chew and what you eat, along with the type of bridge, crown, etc. Anyway, I thought I would put this out as food for thought. During my practice, I loved to teach my patients so that they knew exactly what they were getting and what their options were, if any were possible. So, although I have no access to your x-rays and physical examination, if you have any questions about the treatment you are getting, have gotten, or will get, let me know if you want a "second opinion" or an explanation of what your dentist proposes. Just ask. Can't hurt anything, and be help enlighten you....or not. Thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment